- Title: Clashes erupt at Jerusalem al-Aqsa mosque
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) MUSLIM PALESTINIAN WORSHIPPERS PERFORMING FRIDAY PRAYERS ON STREETS OF OLD JERUSALEM IN FRONT OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS STANDING GUARD CLASHES BREAKING OUT / STONES BEING THROWN / ISRAELI POLICE FIRING CONFRONTATION BETWEEN WORSHIPPERS AND ISRAELI POLICE
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 12:07
- Keywords: al-Aqsa Mosque Muslim worshippers Israel security Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu mosque security clashes
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMU2X3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes broke out between Muslim worshippers and Israeli police on Friday (July 28) in the latest escalation of tensions over the recent Israeli installation of security measures around al-Aqsa compound.
A confrontation ensued after prayers ended on Friday with stones being thrown and firing from Israeli police.
On Thursday (July 27) Israel removed all security infrastructure it had put in place at Muslim entrances to the Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem's Old City, taking a further step to try to diffuse heightened political and religious tension.
The stand-off around the holy site, known to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount, has provoked some of the worst bloodshed Jerusalem has seen in years, at a time when peace efforts have gone nowhere since 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None