- Title: Brazil deploys troops in Rio as crime surges
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (JULY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS ON PATROL ON A FOOT BRIDGE OVER A BUSY THOROUGHFARE MILITARY TRUCKS PASSING UNDER FOOT BRIDGE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS DEPLOYED THROUGHOUT THE CITY
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 22:04
- Keywords: Brazil violence Rio de Janeiro crime Michel Temer. army army deployed in Rio
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO AND BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO AND BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0056RRSD3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Armed forces troops have been deployed throughout much of the city of Rio de Janeiro and surrounding areas as part of a plan to combat organized crime in Brazil's second largest city.
Army troops carrying rifles and armoured vehicles were seen along bike paths and roadways around the city on Saturday (July 29) after first being deployed on Friday (July 28). The air force and navy are also participating in the operation.
Brazilian President Michel Temer said the operation was aimed at "preserving public order" as the security situation in Rio continues to worsen.
Defence Minister Raul Jugmann warned dramatic results would not come easy and would not be seen from one day to the next.
The plan calls for the deployment of more than 10,000 troops and the government expects the armed forces to remain until at least the end of 2018.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None