- Title: Venezuelan protesting violinist arrested, beaten - rights group
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARTEAGA PLAYING VIOLIN DURING A DEMONSTRATION ARTEAGA AND A SINGER HUGGING AFTER PERFORMING TOGETHER AT A PROTEST
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 19:55
- Keywords: Venezuela Wuilly Arteaga Venezuelan violinist Wuilly Arteaga protesting violinist Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0076RRSH1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A violinist who was arrested during anti-government unrest this week was beaten with his instrument by officials, leaving him hard of hearing, according to a rights campaigner.
Wuilly Arteaga, 23, has become one of the best-known faces of protests against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, playing the National Anthem as tear gas enveloped him and rubber bullets flew around him.
Anti-government protests have rocked Venezuela for four months, leaving more than 110 people dead.
Arteaga was detained during a protest on Thursday, said Alfredo Romero, head of the Penal Forum rights group, in a Periscope video filmed while driving. Arteaga has become emblematic for government critics of security forces' tough tactics against protesters in recent months.
The government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The young violinist was severely injured last week while playing during protests. Photos of his injuries circulated on social media.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.