- Title: Venezuelan protesting violinist arrested, beaten - rights group
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: ARTEAGA SPITTING AND REACTING TO EFFECTS OF TEAR GAS AS HE CONTINUES TO PLAY VIOLIN TEAR GAS AND WATER CANNON SHOT AT CROWD OF DEMONSTRATORS MORE OF ARTEAGA PLAYING VIOLIN DURING PROTEST VARIOUS OF ARTEAGA PLAYING VIOLIN DURING PROTEST
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 19:55
- Keywords: Venezuela Wuilly Arteaga Venezuelan violinist Wuilly Arteaga protesting violinist Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0036RRSH1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A violinist who was arrested during anti-government unrest this week was beaten with his instrument by officials, leaving him hard of hearing, according to a rights campaigner.
Wuilly Arteaga, 23, has become one of the best-known faces of protests against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, playing the National Anthem as tear gas enveloped him and rubber bullets flew around him.
Anti-government protests have rocked Venezuela for four months, leaving more than 110 people dead.
Arteaga was detained during a protest on Thursday, said Alfredo Romero, head of the Penal Forum rights group, in a Periscope video filmed while driving. Arteaga has become emblematic for government critics of security forces' tough tactics against protesters in recent months.
The government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The young violinist was severely injured last week while playing during protests. Photos of his injuries circulated on social media.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.