- Title: South Koreaâ€™s Foreign Minister to discuss North Korea at ASEAN Regional Forum
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JULY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SOUTH KOREAN FOREIGN MINISTER, KANG KYUNG-WHA, TAKING SEAT EMERGENCY EXECUTIVE MEETING BY SOUTH KOREA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY IN PROGRESS KANG SPEAKING EXECUTIVE STAFFS OF FOREIGN MINISTRY SEATED KANG SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN FOREIGN MINISTER, KANG KYUNG-WHA, SAYING: "I will make sure that during the meetings between the foreign ministers of ASEAN countries, including the ARF (ASEAN Regional Forum) scheduled for next week, restraining measures against North Korea's provocations will be discussed and a strong warning will be sent to the North." SECOND VICE FOREIGN MINISTER, CHO HYUN (LEFT), AND SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR KOREAN PENINSULA PEACE AND SECURITY AFFAIRS, KIM HONG-KYUN (RIGHT), SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN FOREIGN MINISTER, KANG KYUNG-WHA, SAYING: "This is the 11th ballistic missile launch during this year and one which is unique in its time and place of launch compared to the pattern shown in the past. Although we will see how the analysis on the missile recategorization, currently underway by South Korea and the U.S., there exists the concern that there has been a significant advancement in technology." MEETING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY BUILDING SIGNBOARD READING (Korean): "MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS"
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 07:36
- Keywords: South Korea Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-hwa ARF North Korea ICBM ASEAN Regional Forum
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RRS5Z9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's Foreign Minister, Kang Kyung-Wha, held an emergency executive meeting on Saturday (July 29) after having phone calls with the U.S. and Japanese counterparts on North Korea's latest missile launch.
Kang said she will discuss measures against North Korea's provocations during the meetings at ASEAN Regional Forum next week and expressed the concerns over the North's advanced missile technology.
Ministerial meeting between Kang and her North Korean counterpart Ri Yong-ho is highly expected during the ASEAN-related meetings in Manila, the Philippines.
North Korea said on Saturday it had conducted another successful test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on Friday (July 28) that proved its ability to strike all of America's mainland, drawing a sharp warning from U.S. President Donald Trump and a rebuke from China.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None