- Title: Syrian Democratic Forces make headway in Raqqa battle against Islamic State
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: RAQQA, SYRIA (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEAVY SMOKE SEEN RISING FROM AN ISLAMIC STATE LOCATION TARGETED BY COALITION AIRSTRIKES BUILDINGS, DEBRIS AND MORE OF SMOKE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS IN THE WESTERN PART OF RAQQA VARIOUS OF SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES (SDF) WALKING DOWN A STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES FIGHTER, SABRI TARBIBSEH, SAYING: "We were just in those buildings there, there was a sniper behind us targeting us, then a plane came and targeted him. We are advancing, and God willing we will be victorious, each day we move further than the day before, God willing we will be victorious." VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS WALKING DOWN STREETS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS AND DEBRIS VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS INSIDE AN ABANDONED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES FIGHTER, RABI KORIEH, SAYING: "The men are waiting for the evening to try and take the hospital because it is a strategic location for Daesh (a commonly used Arabic acronym for Islamic State) and they want to recapture it. The comrades and the coalition planes are targeting their (Islamic State) locations so they will not be able to infiltrate the hospital. Currently our work is solely focused on the hospital." VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS ON LOOKOUT ON ROOF VARIOUS OF A ISLAMIC STATE DRONES CAPTURED BY THE SDF ISLAMIC STATE MORTARS AND OTHER WEAPONS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES FIGHTER, FADI, SAYING: "These (items) were built by Daesh, the lookout plane. When we stormed the village, called Dereya, we found these and took them. They would fly these and explore our areas, we took them. You can also see mortars, made by hand, and here are the planes and bombs they would make." VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS, ROOFTOPS IN THE CITY VARIOUS OF SDF MILITARY VEHICLES DRIVING THROUGH THE CITY VARIOUS OF A COALITION HELICOPTER FLYING OVER THE AREA
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 12:56
- Keywords: Coalition airstrikes Islamic State in Raqqa SDF fighters damaged buildings Syrian Democratic Forces Raqqa
- Location: RAQQA, SYRIA
- City: RAQQA, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RRRI9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Islamic State positions suffered more assaults from coalition air strikes on Friday (July 28) as the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) targeted further gains from the militants, including the recapture of a strategic hospital.
Under the banner of the SDF, an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias are fighting to take Raqqa back from the jihadists, who took control of the Syrian city at the beginning of 2014.
With air strikes and special forces from the U.S.-led coalition, the SDF pushed into Raqqa in June 2017 after advancing on the city's outskirts for months.
Islamic State militants attacked the U.S.-backed forces east of Raqqa on Friday, setting off clashes and abducting a number of people, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None