- Title: Pakistan's ruling party to appoint Abbasi as interim PM - sources
- Date: 29th July 2017
- Summary: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (NOVEMBER 8, 2013) (REUTERS) PAKISTAN'S MINISTER FOR PETROLEUM AND NATURAL RESOURCES, SHAHID KHAQAN ABBASI, SEATED FOR INTERVIEW ABBASI SPEAKING DURING INTERVIEW
- Embargoed: 12th August 2017 14:49
- Keywords: Pakistan interim prime minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi Sharif loyalist former petroleum minister brother Shahbaz Sharif long-term successor
- Location: KARACHI, LAHORE AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, LAHORE AND ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RRRKNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Pakistan's ruling party will appoint Shahid Khaqan Abbasi as interim prime minister after the ousting of Nawaz Sharif, two sources close to the toppled premier said on Saturday (July 29).
Abbasi, 58, is a staunch Sharif loyalist and had been the petroleum minister in his cabinet until Friday (July 28), when Sharif resigned after being disqualified by the Supreme Court over undeclared assets. Sharif's brother, Shahbaz Sharif, has been chosen as his long-term successor.
One source confirmed the appointment and the plan to have Abbasi in place until Shahbaz contests a parliamentary seat and becomes eligible to take over.
Shahbaz Sharif, 65, the chief minister of the vast Punjab province that accounts for more than half of Pakistan's 190 million people, will also need to resign from his regional post. The ruling PML-N party has a strong majority in parliament so should have no problem appointing its choice as the new prime minister.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None