- Title: Brazil's velodrome fire extinguished
- Date: 30th July 2017
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (JULY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF OLYMPIC PARK WITH VELODROME ON THE RIGHT SHOWING CHARRED PART OF ROOF OF VENUE CHARRED ROOF OF VENUE PARTIALLY CHARRED ROOF OF VENUE CLOSE UP OF CHARRED PART OF ROOF GENERAL VIEW OF ENTRANCE SIDE OF VELODROME SIGN AT VELODROME LARGE LETTERING THAT READS "OLYMPIC CITY" WRITTEN IN PORTUGUESE
- Embargoed: 13th August 2017 20:48
- Keywords: fire Olympic Park Olympic velodrome Rio de Janeiro Rio 2016
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RWRWAR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A fire at Brazil's Olympic velodrome was put out before dawn on Sunday (July 30) by firefighters who battled for hours to extinguish the blaze in Rio de Janeiro's Olympic Park, the country's Sports Minister said.
Officials were still to determine the extent of the damage to a facility which uses special pine wood only found in Siberia and opened little over a year ago especially for the 2016 Olympics.
The blaze was caused by a burning flying lantern that fell on the building during Saturday night (July 29), Minister Leandro Picciani said on twitter.
The practice of making small hot air balloons is a common one in Brazil, especially during the hot, dry months of June and July, and authorities have launched annual campaigns to criminalise the practice. Flying balloons can hamper aircraft and falling balloons can damage property and start forest fires.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None