- Title: Israeli court upholds jail term for ex-soldier in Hebron shooting
- Date: 30th July 2017
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (JULY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AZARIA'S SUPPORTERS DEMONSTRATING OUTSIDE COURT DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING (Hebrew) "HE IS INNOCENT" (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) AZARIA SUPPORTER, ESTHER BARKAI, SAYING: "It's a soldier, an exemplary soldier who didn't murder, but killed a terrorist who came to kill us not to give us candy. Gentlemen, this is the time and place to put an end to all this abuse against the soldier and his family." HEBRON, WEST BANK (JULY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF YOUSRI A-SHAREEF, FATHER OF WOUNDED PALESTINIAN ASSAILANT WHO WAS KILLED BY ISRAELI SOLDIER, AT WORK A-SHAREEF AT WORK IN BUILDING (MUTE) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FATHER OF WOUNDED PALESTINIAN ASSAILANT WHO WAS KILLED BY ISRAELI SOLDIER, YOUSRI A-SHAREEF, SAYING: "I don't really think about it, as you can see I'm here working, because we already know what the ruling is. The ruling is obviously that he is innocent, without knowing the details. These people care really only about media and they are just saying that he was sentenced for a year and a half. As you know he was at the military camp and wasn't really in jail, then he was in a house arrest, all this is nonsense. They also gave him short vacations for holidays, everything they do is for the media and is nonsense." TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (JULY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION IN SUPPORT OF AZARIA OUTSIDE COURT
- Embargoed: 13th August 2017 17:21
- Keywords: Israel Palestinian shooting Palestinians Hebron soldier wounded attacker shooting Israel court appeal
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL / HEBRON, WEST BANK
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL / HEBRON, WEST BANK
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026RWROEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An Israeli military appeal court upheld a manslaughter conviction and 18-month jail sentence on Sunday (July 30) for a former army conscript who killed an incapacitated Palestinian assailant in the occupied West Bank.
In one of the most divisive trials in the Israel's history, the panel of judges, including field generals, rejected challenges lodged by Elor Azaria, who says he had acted in line with defence doctrines.
In March 2015, Azaria was serving as an army medic in the town of Hebron in the occupied West Bank when two Palestinians stabbed and wounded another soldier. One of the assailants was shot dead by troops. The other was shot and wounded.
Eleven minutes later, as the wounded man, Abd Elfatah Ashareef, 21, lay on the ground unable to move, Azaria, then 19, took aim with his rifle and fatally shot him in the head. The incident was captured on video by a Palestinian rights activist.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None