- Title: Venezuelans cast ballots in controversial constituent assembly
- Date: 30th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE VOTING CENTRES, STANDING ON LINE AND SHOWING PATRIA (MOTHERLAND) VOTING ID VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING VOTING CENTRE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING FOR THEIR NAMES ON VOTER LISTS PEOPLE SITTING AND WAITING INSIDE VOTING CENTRE WOMAN ENTERING TO VOTE VARIOUS OF MAN VOTING MAN PUTTING BALLOT IN BALLOT BOX VARIOUS OF MAN SIGNING DOCUMENT MAN VOTING VOTER PUTTING BALLOT IN BOX (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RAIZA ARISTIGUETA, VOTER, SAYING: "I'm proud to have voted for the constituent assembly, for my grandchildren, for my children, for the people. Commander Nicolas Maduro wants the best for his people." NATIONAL GUARD STANDING GUARD AT DOOR OF VOTING CENTRE SIGN AT ELECTORAL TABLE VARIOUS OF OFFICIAL CHECKING PATRIA VOTING ID WOMAN ARRIVING TO VOTE VOTER PUTTING FINGERPRINT IN MACHINE VARIOUS OF WOMAN VOTING VARIOUS OF WOMAN PUTTING BALLOT IN BOX NATIONAL GUARD STANDING GUARD VARIOUS OF VENEZUELAN COURT PRESIDENT MAIKEL MORENO ENTERING VOTING CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MAIKEL MORENO, PRESIDENT OF VENEZUELAN COURT, SAYING: "Today is a day in which Venezuela and Venezuelans show our profound democratic calling. Venezuela shows the world that it is based on a rule of law, rooted in the constitution and laws. We the Venezuelan people will solve the problems in Venezuela. We do not accept the interference of foreign governments." MORENO LEAVING VOTING CENTRE NATIONAL POLICE PATROLLING CITY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE VOTING CENTRE VOTER ENTERING VOTING CENTRE PEOPLE CHECKING VOTER LISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SEGUNDO GARCIA, VOTER, SAYING: "To end the shamelessness, the vandalism, we are going through-- we want to get out of this situation." PEOPLE ON LINE OUTSIDE VOTING CENTRE WITH MURAL OF HUGO CHAVEZ IN BACKGROUND PEOPLE SHOWING VOTER ID AND TATTOO OF CHAVEZ'S FACE PEOPLE OUTSIDE VOTING CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NAYETH ESPINOZA, VOTER, SAYING: "Today is the true of constituent assembly change. First, peace in our country, for the peace of our brothers, because despite political differences, we are all brothers. Venezuela is one nation. This is how we are going to show the entire world the true reality of what is happening in our country." PEOPLE SEARCHING VOTER LISTS PATRIA (MOTHERLAND) VOTER ID PEOPLE ENTERING VOTING CENTRE MAN SHOWING VOTER ID PEOPLE OUTSIDE VOTING CENTRE
- Embargoed: 13th August 2017 15:10
- Keywords: Venezuela voting contituent assembly crisis
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RWRJNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Streets were desolate early Sunday (July 30) as Venezuelans began voting for a constitutional super-body expected to hand sweeping powers to ruling Socialist Party officials and potentially extend their unpopular rule.
President Nicolas Maduro, widely disliked for overseeing an economic collapse during his four years in office, has promised the assembly will restore peace after months of opposition protests during which more than 115 people have been killed.
Critics say the assembly will allow Maduro to dissolve the opposition-run Congress, delay future elections and rewrite electoral rules to prevent the socialists from being voted out. Opposition parties are boycotting the election which polls suggest is opposed by a large majority of Venezuelans.
After the postponement of regional elections, four months of violence and Maduro's repeated refusal to heed decisions by Congress, voters are not being asked whether they wish to proceed with the assembly, only to select its 545 members from more than 6,100 candidates representing a broad array of Socialist Party allies. The vote has brought global condemnation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None