- Title: Taipei commuters take a dive into sports-themed subway cars
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: NEW TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) SUBWAY ARRIVING AT STATION TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) SUBWAY CAR FLOOR MADE TO LOOK AS THOUGH IT IS A SWIMMING POOL / COMMUTERS SITTING, STANDING VARIOUS OF CHILDREN PRETENDING TO SWIM ON SUBWAY FLOOR BOY WAVING / SWIMMING POOL-THEMED FLOOR (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 40-YEAR-OLD COMMUTER, CHANG CHING-WEN, SAYING: "Unlike at a normal swimming pool, there are a lot of people here, so they (my kids) are a bit shy and don't really want to lay on the floor and swim in front of everyone." VARIOUS OF COMMUTER DRESSED AS MERMAID, YUKI CHOU, PRETENDING TO SWIM ON SUBWAY FLOOR CHOU PRETENDING TO SWIM ON FLOOR / WOMAN TAKING PHOTO WITH MOBILE PHONE MOBILE PHONE SCREEN TAKING PHOTOS OF CHOU (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) COMMUTER DRESSED AS MERMAID, YUKI CHOU, SAYING: "It's really uncanny and you really feel like you're actually there (at a swimming pool), so I really feel like jumping in for a swim." VARIOUS OF GIRLS TAKING PHOTOS OF THEIR FEET ON FLOOR (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 68-YEAR-OLD COMMUTER, TSAI CHIUNG-CHU, SAYING: "I really do wonder how you can swim on the subway." / (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 65-YEAR-OLD COMMUTER, TSAI YUEH-HSIA, SAYING: "This is the first time I've seen this." / (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 68-YEAR-OLD COMMUTER, TSAI CHIUNG-CHU, SAYING: "In the car in front there is no such installation, only this one has it. So I was thinking, why does this car have a different appearance?" / (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 65-YEAR-OLD COMMUTER, TSAI YUEH-HSIA, SAYING: "It's very pretty and looks really comfortable." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN POSING WITH BASEBALL EQUIPMENT IN SUBWAY CAR WITH FLOOR MADE TO LOOK LIKE BASEBALL PITCH COMMUTER USING MOBILE PHONE / SUBWAY FLOOR MADE TO LOOK AS THOUGH IT IS COVERED IN GRASS CHILDREN POSING WITH BASEBALL EQUIPMENT IN SUBWAY CAR WITH BASEBALL PITCHTHEMED FLOOR VARIOUS OF SUBWAY CAR WITH FLOOR MADE TO LOOK LIKE AN ATHLETICS TRACK PASSENGERS LOOKING ON LED DISPLAY READING (English): "TAIPEI ARENA" COMMUTERS GETTING ON AND OFF OF SUBWAY SUBWAY DOORS CLOSING VARIOUS OF CHANG PLAYING ON SUBWAY FLOOR WITH HER TWO CHILDREN
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 11:19
- Keywords: Taiwan subway Taiwan subway swimming baseball decorated subway Taipei Metro Universiade track and field swimming sports
- Location: NEW TAIPEI CITY/TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- City: NEW TAIPEI CITY/TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBRB6H
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Commuters in Taipei on Tuesday (August 1) pretended to bat, swim and race on a subway train, where the floors have been papered over to resemble sport arenas ahead of the Summer Universiade the city is hosting later this month.
Six different venues - a swimming pool, soccer field, basketball court, baseball pitch, athletics track and field for throwing events are featured on the train. The 3D ripple effect of the swimming pool floor in particular has caught the attention of many, some even stripping down to their swimsuits to strike a pose.
"It's uncanny, you really feel like you're actually there, so I really feel like jumping in for a swim," said Yuki Chou, who was dressed as a mermaid.
Staged biennially in alternating summer and winter editions, the Universiade gathers university student athletes from around the world to compete in various sports. They are said to be second in their reach only to the Olympic Games, according to the website of the International University Sports Federation.
This is the first time the Universiade is to be held in Taiwan. The 29th Summer Universiade kicks off on August 19 and runs till August 30, with a total of 22 sports, from archery to weightlifting, featured.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None