- Title: Humala seeks appeal to overturn prison time for himself, wife
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) JUDGE OCTAVIO SAHUANAY AT START OF APPEALS HEARING FOR PERU'S FORMER PRESIDENT OLLANTA HUMALA AND HIS WIFE, NADINE HEREDIA HUMALA SEEN VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE FROM BARBADILLO PRISON, NESTLED IN A POLICE BASE ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF LIMA, WHERE HE IS BEING HELD IN CUSTODY UNTIL PROSECUTORS CONCLUDE THEIR MONEY LAUNDERING INVESTIGATION GENERAL VIEW OF JUDGES AND COURT DURING SESSION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROSECUTOR RAFAEL VELA, SAYING: "What we require is the minimum to do our work and not to repeat issues such as that of former President Toledo, who at the moment is required by justice, with two terms of pre-trial detention that are unenforceable to date." GENERAL VIEW OF COURTROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PERU'S FORMER PRESIDENT OLLANTA HUMALA, SAYING: "We reaffirm that we request, from this room, a decision in justice and ratify that we will stay in our country and we're going to face this process here in our country." GENERAL VIEW OF COURTROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PERU'S FORMER FIRST LADY, NADINE HEREDIA, SAYING: "I urge, senior judges of the court, to make an independent, objective decision and allow us to continue this investigation, to address this investigation in hearings." VARIOUS OF END OF HEARING SESSION LAWYERS FOR HUMALA AND HEREDIA APPROACHING MEDIA FOR COMMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LAWYER FOR HUMALA AND HEREDIA, JULIO CESAR ESPINOZA, SAYING: "Today we debated, today we have presented legal arguments and it's on the basis of such considerations that we expect the court to resolve." HUMALA AND HEREDIA SUPPORTERS OUTSIDE PROTESTING OUTSIDE COURT WOMAN HOLDING BANNER WITH IMAGE OF HUMALA AND HEREDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HUMALA SUPPORTER, GLORIA MENDOZA, SAYING: "The expectation of the people, especially the poor and humble people who have voted for Ollanta and the people who have truly benefited from their social programs is unfair. Unfair the problems caused and Ollanta's arrest." VARIOUS OF HUMALA SUPPORTERS WAVING FLAGS
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 20:33
- Keywords: Ollanta Humala Nadine Heredia Odebrecht corruption
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1T2RN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Former Peruvian President Ollanta Humala appeared on video conference in a Lima courtroom on Monday (July 31) as part of a process to appeal the prison sentences handed down for himself and his wife Nadine Heredia in an ongoing corruption probe.
The couple has been in prison for over two weeks under a pre-trial detention order.
According to the prosecution, the couple were detained to keep them from fleeing the country while money laundering charges are prepared against them. Prosecutor German Juarez has said he would prove in court that the couple illegally obtained money from Brazilian construction company Odebrecht SA and the late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez that was used to bankroll Humala's campaigns and for personal gain.
Humala has denied any wrongdoing. The court is expected to issue a ruling on the appeal in four days.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None