- Title: Kenya election official tortured, murdered before vote - officials
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH GATES TO NAIROBI CITY COUNTY CORONER SERVICES VARIOUS OF RELATIVES HUGGING EACH OTHER OUTSIDE THE MORTUARY MAN CRYING SISTER OF KENYAN ELECTION OFFICIAL CHRIS MSANDO (NAME UNKNOWN), CRYING BROTHER OF KENYAN ELECTION OFFICIAL CHRIS MSANDO, PETER MSANDO, SITTING WITH OTHER MEN (SOUNDBITE) (English) SISTER OF KENYAN ELECTION OFFICIAL CHRIS MSANDO, (NAME UNKNOWN) SAYING: "They killed my brother, for a job, why not sack him?" PETER MSANDO CRYING (SOUNDBITE) (English) BROTHER OF KENYAN ELECTION OFFICIAL CHRIS MSANDO, PETER MSANDO, SAYING: "This guy had already been killed on a Friday, the body was bought here on Saturday about eleven something in the morning and therefore what the police were saying, they were doing further investigation and they were going to create a special squad to deal with the issue, was neither here nor there." PRESS STANDING OUTSIDE MORTUARY BUILDING RELATIVES INSIDE THE MORTUARY STANDING NEXT TO BODY ON A TABLE, COVERED BY WHITE SHEET WOMEN SITTING ON BENCH PEOPLE CONGREGATED OUTSIDE VARIOUS OF KENYAN INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL AND BOUNDARIES COMMISSION CHAIRMAN, WAFULA CHEBUKATI, STANDING WITH OTHER OFFICIALS CHEBUKATI ADDRESSING THE MEDIA WOMAN HOLDING HEAD IN HER HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) KENYAN INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL AND BOUNDARIES COMMISSION CHAIRMAN, WAFULA CHEBUKATI, SAYING: "The killing and murder of our employee Chris Msando, there is no doubt that he was tortured and murdered, I know post-mortem will be done. In our mind as a commission the only issue is who killed him and why. That's the question that must be answered. We are a few days from elections and we all know that it is the duty of the government to provide security for all Kenyans and at this point in time, I demand from the government they provide security for all employees of IEBC for us to give Kenyans a free and fair election." VARIOUS OF CHRIS MSANDO'S BODY BEING REMOVED FROM THE MORTUARY IN METAL COFFIN AND LOADED INTO A WHITE VAN WHITE VAN DEPARTING
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 16:04
- Keywords: Electoral commission Kenyan election official murdered Chris Msando tortured and murdered Nairobi city free and fair election national vote
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1T8AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A senior Kenyan election official was found murdered on Monday (July 31) three days after going missing, poll officials said, stirring fears of turmoil before next week's national vote.
Chris Msando, the election board's head of information, communication and technology, was tortured before he died, the vote body told journalists, without giving further details. Police were not immediately available for comment.
Kenyans - who saw their 2007 vote descend into ethnic violence - will chose their next president, lawmakers and local representatives on Tuesday next week.
President Uhuru Kenyatta, seeking a second and final five-year term, is running against veteran opposition leader Raila Odinga.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None