- Title: France to open two migrant accommodation centres in Calais region
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, GERARD COLLOMB, ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, GERARD COLLOMB, SAYING: "The plan we wish to put in place has been organised with the concern in mind that no accommodation centres should be opened in Calais itself, bearing in mind the history."
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 15:32
- Keywords: migrants Calais water Gerard Collomb interior minister refugees camp
- Location: PARIS AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1T4CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on Monday (July 31) that two new accommodation centres would be opened in the Calais region and that the country would provide mobile spots offering access to sanitary facilities in the town.
France's highest administrative court on Monday ruled President Emmanuel Macron's government and the Calais region must provide the hundreds of migrants sleeping rough there with drinking water, showers and toilets.
Charities and the national human rights watchdog have been fiercely critical of the squalid conditions facing the migrants who have converged again on the northern port city after government bulldozers razed a camp known as the "Jungle".
While Macron has called for migrants to be treated with dignity, his own government has taken a tough stance, refusing to open a new migrant reception centre in Calais, saying it would act as a magnet for other migrants.
The two new accommodation centres will be located away from Calais in Troisvaux and Bailleul.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None