- Title: Philippine mayor linked to illegal drug trade killed in police raid
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 12:34
- Keywords: Philippine mayor mayor killed drug raid war on drugs Rodrigo Duterte mayor killed in Philippines
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1RSXX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
A southern Philippine mayor on President Rodrigo Duterte's list of top drug suspects was killed during a pre-dawn raid at his home on Mindanao island, police said on Sunday (July 30).
Reynaldo Parojinog, the mayor of Ozamiz city, was the third mayor to be killed in the government's bloody narcotics crackdown after reportedly engaging police officers serving a search warrant in his home to a gun fight. Police said on Monday (July 31) officers were wounded during the firefight and fought back.
Duterte has promised an unrelenting war on drugs, defying critics who were "trivializing" his campaign with human rights concerns and unjustly blaming the authorities for the deaths of more than 7,000 deaths since taking office last year.
Critics say Duterte has turned a blind eye to thousands of deaths during police operations that bear all the hallmarks of executions. Police say they have killed suspects only in self defense and deny involvement in a spree of killings of drug users by mysterious vigilantes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None