- Title: Afghan security forces battle gunmen after blast at Iraqi embassy in Kabul
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JULY 31, 2017) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM BLAST BEHIND BUILDINGS / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 12:55
- Keywords: Suicide bomb blast Iraqi Embassy in Kabul Afghan capital Islamic State claim responsibility
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1SDHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan security forces battled three gunmen for hours in an attack on the Iraqi embassy in Kabul on Monday (July 31) after a suicide bomber blew himself up at the main gate, allowing gunmen to enter the building.
Video obtained by Reuters on Monday showed black smoke rising into the air shortly after the blast. Sounds of heavy gunfire can also be heard.
Islamic State's Amaq agency said two attackers had blown up the gate, killing seven guards, and two fighters had broken into the compound.
The Iraqi foreign ministry said that two Afghan embassy guards were killed in the attack. Iraq's chargÃ© d'affaires has been rescued from the premises and whisked away to the Egyptian embassy, they said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None