- Title: Kremlin says up to Washington to decide which embassy staff to cut
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) MANEZH SQUARE NEXT TO KREMLIN, HISTORY MUSEUM KREMLIN TOWERS
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 11:43
- Keywords: Russian retaliatory measures U.S. sanctions U.S. embassy staff cuts Kremlin spokesperson comments
- Location: MOSCOW AND SOCHI, RUSSIA AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: MOSCOW AND SOCHI, RUSSIA AND UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1R96V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday (July 31) it would be up to Washington to choose which of its diplomatic staff in Russia would be cut after Russia demanded that it reduce 755 staff members in response to new U.S. sanctions.
He said that Russian citizens working for the United States embassy could be among the 755 staff to go, as well as U.S. diplomats.
Moscow did not wait until President Donald Trump signs the new sanctions into law because "there was no point in waiting" after the legislation was adopted in Congress, Peskov told reporters on a conference call.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None