- Title: Suicide bomber attacks area near Afghan police, Iraq embassy compound in Kabul
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) SECURITY NEAR IRAQ EMBASSY COMPOUND WHERE THE ATTACK TOOK PLACE
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 08:41
- Keywords: suicide bomb Kabul Iraq Embassy police security
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1RLTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Security was tight in Kabul on Monday (July 31) as Afghan security forces battled gunmen near a police compound and the nearby Iraqi embassy following a suicide bombing.
The target of the attack was not immediately clear but police on the scene said that the gunmen appeared to have taken cover in the embassy building in a business district of the city, from where smoke could be seen rising. Security officials said there appeared to be five gunmen involved but there was no immediate word on any casualties.
The attack comes a week after at least 35 people were killed in a suicide attack on government workers in Kabul and underlines the precarious security in Afghanistan as the U.S. administration considers an overhaul of its policy in the region. Last week's attack was claimed by the Taliban. A spokesman for the insurgent movement said he had no immediate information on Monday's attack.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None