- Title: Security is tight in Kabul area near suicide bomber attack
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES GUARDING SITE OF ATTACK NEAR IRAQI EMBASSY SECURITY FORCES IN PLACE IN THE AREA SECURITY FORCES IN HUMVEE ARRIVING AT ATTACK SITE SOLDIER STANDING ON VEHICLE POLICE AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) EYEWITNESS AND KABUL RESIDENT, MOHAMMAD NABI TANHA, SAYING: "Suddenly I heard a huge explosion and after the explosion all shopkeepers at the area locked their shops and escaped." POLICEMEN ARRIVING AT ATTACK SITE SECURITY FORCES AT ATTACK SITE ARMOURED VEHICLES DRIVING PAST
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 11:13
- Keywords: suicide bomb Kabul Iraq Embassy police security
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1RRD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Security was tight on Monday (July 31) where militant group Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack near the Iraqi embassy.
A suicide bomber blew himself up at the embassy's main gate, allowing gunmen to enter the building and battle security forces. A government spokesman said Afghan security forces were inside the building and a clearance operation was underway, he added that embassy personnel were safe although guards and nearby civilians might have suffered casualties.
Islamic State's Amaq agency said two attackers had blown up the gate, killing seven guards, and two fighters had broken into the compound.
Islamic State has carried out a series of high-profile attacks in Kabul, mainly targeting members of the Shi'ite Hazara community, and fuelling concerns of a possible spillover into Afghanistan from fighting in Syria and Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None