- Title: South Koreans hold anti-THAAD rally as military prepares additional deployment
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF ANTI-THAAD PROTESTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS FACING EACH OTHER PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER AND LETTERS ON POSTER READING (English): "NO! THAAD!" MORE OF PROTESTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS FACING EACH OTHER VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS AND CHANTING, LETTERS ON BANNER READING (Korean): "WITHDRAW PLAN OF ADDITIONAL DEPLOYMENT OF THAAD LAUNCHERS" PROTEST LEADER MAKING SPEECH WHILE HOLDING BANNER READING (Korean): "DISMANTLE THAAD EQUIPMENT!" (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) TOWN HEAD OF SOSEONG-RI WHERE THAAD HAS BEEN DEPLOYED, LEE SEOK-JU, SAYING: "The THAAD system cannot protect us from the North's ICBM. I think that the (South Korean) government is trying to deploy THAAD to detect (the North's) missiles upon the U.S. request. However, we oppose the deployment to keep peace on the Korean peninsula and the world and we hope the government maintains independence despite the U.S. pressure." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS AND CHANTING NATIONAL DEFENCE COMMITTEE SESSION IN PROGRESS AT SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL ASSEMBLY SOUTH KOREA'S DEFENCE MINISTER, SONG YOUNG-MOO, SITTING AND SPEAKING AT MEETING LAWMAKERS SITTING AND LISTENING DIRECTOR GENERAL OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY'S POLICY PLANNING BUREAU, JANG KYUNG-SOO, SALUTING AND WALKING TOWARD PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) DIRECTOR GENERAL OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY'S POLICY PLANNING BUREAU, JANG KYUNG-SOO, SAYING: "Temporary deployment of the other four launchers will be done after discussing the process, preparation etc. with the United States and installing temporary launching pads." LAWMAKERS SITTING AND LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) DIRECTOR GENERAL OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY'S POLICY PLANNING BUREAU, JANG KYUNG-SOO, SAYING: "To manage conflict with the opposition group, we will proceed with the safety evaluation of electromagnetic waves with the participation of local residents and hold local public hearings. We will explain the government's position, emphasize our efforts to communicate with local residents and examine support plans for them at a government-wide level as well as at the defence ministry level." VARIOUS OF NATIONAL DEFENCE COMMITTEE SESSION IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 09:07
- Keywords: South Korea North Korea THAAD ICBM protest defence ministry
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1ROZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: About 40 protesters held a rally on Monday (July 31) in Seoul to protest an additional deployment of the controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) anti-missile defence system.
The deployment of THAAD in rural Seongju has been met with protests from farmers concerned that the sophisticated missile defence system's advanced radar will damage local melon crops and make the small town a target of a North Korea attack.
South Korea said on Saturday (July 29) it will proceed with the deployment of four additional units of the U.S. THAAD anti-missile defence system after North Korea's latest launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The deployment of the additional units had been delayed after the initial two units, after South Korean President Moon Jae-in ordered an environmental assessment.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None