- Title: Pakistani lawmakers elect ousted PM Nawaz Sharif's ally as replacement
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PAKISTAN'S NATIONAL ASSEMBLY (UPPER HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT) VARIOUS OF SECURITY OFFICER STANDING GUARD OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT CAR CARRYING LAWMAKER ARRIVING LAWMAKER GETTING OUT OF CAR AND WALKING TOWARDS PARLIAMENT FORMER DEFENCE MINISTER, KHAWAJA ASIF, ARRIVING PAKISTAN'S PRIME MINISTER-ELECT AND FORMER PETROLEUM MINISTER, SHAHID KHAQAN ABBASI, SURROUNDED BY REPORTERS OPPOSITION LAWMAKER, SHEIKH RASHID AHMED, (PRIME MINISTER NOMINEE) ARRIVING VARIOUS OF LAWMAKERS ARRIVING AT PARLIAMENT
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 16:23
- Keywords: Pakistani lawmakers electing former petroleum minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi ousted leader Nawaz Sharif Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) party
- Location: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- City: ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBR77P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Pakistani lawmakers on Tuesday (August 1) elected former petroleum minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, an ally of ousted leader Nawaz Sharif, to replace him and the new premier immediately sought to project an image of stability.
Lawmakers of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) party banged on benches and chanted "Lion, lion Nawaz Sharif" after the vote, standing defiant in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to cut short his third stint in power.
Sharif resigned on Friday (July 28) after the Supreme Court disqualified him for not declaring a source of income - which he disputes receiving. He nominated staunch ally Abbasi as interim leader until his brother, Shahbaz, becomes eligible to take over, probably within two months.
Abbasi was confirmed with 221 votes in the 342-seat National Assembly as the PML-N used its hefty majority to push through his appointment. PML-N officials hugged each other and congratulated Abbasi even before the result was announced.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None