- Title: SDF advances against Islamic State in Raqqa
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: RAQQA, SYRIA (JULY 31, 2017) (FOOTAGE OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VARIOUS OF U.S. ARMY VEHICLES DRIVING IN CONVOY DAMAGED BUILDINGS AND SOUNDS OF EXPLOSIONS VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING BEHIND DAMAGED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES (SDF) SITTING IN DAMAGED BUILDING MAN LOADING WEAPON VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS SHOOTING AT ISLAMIC STATE TARGETS SPENT BULLETS ON FLOOR SDF FIGHTERS SHOOTING AT ISLAMIC STATE TARGETS SDF FIGHTERS IN ROOM, BEHIND WALL OF DAMAGED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MEMBER OF SYRIAN DEMOCRATIC FORCES, ABU MOSAAB, SAYING: "We are heading towards the gas station of Fraih al Saa. We advanced for two days after fierce clashes against the Dawaesh (Islamic State members). We faced simple obstacles like mines and some snipers. Now, we have advanced and all the Dawaesh are running away under the tunnels and their morale is collapsing." SMOKE RISING BEHIND DAMAGED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FIGHTER, ABDULLAH JAR GHAIF, SAYING: "We took the gas station of Abu al Haif for one hour thank God as well as the children's hospital and al Basel Street. We are between 240 metres and 250 metres far from the al-Jazeera forces and we are communicating with them by talking to them. Tomorrow we will meet with them and go in the city towards Tal Abayad Street, the valley and the clock and we will take them all." VARIOUS OF MAN LOOKING AT A MAP ON TABLET SDF MEMBERS STANDING AND TALKING, HOLDING WEAPONS SDF FIGHTERS GOING DOWNSTAIRS SDF FIGHTERS GETTING INTO VEHICLE SDF FIGHTERS IN STREET VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS IN CAR VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS IN STREET VEHICLES DRIVING IN STREET
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 12:23
- Keywords: Syrian war Raqqa IS democratic forces Islamic state targets Syrian Democratic Forces advance Raqqa advanca
- Location: RAQQA, SYRIA
- City: RAQQA, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBS4EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have made advances in Islamic state-held Raqqa with the militants are under pressure, SDF fighters said on Monday (July 31).
Kurdish officials were reported as saying that SDF were on the verge of seizing full control of the southern neighbourhoods of Raqqa.
The SDF launched its U.S.-backed campaign to seize Raqqa in early June. The assault on Islamic State's de facto capital in Syria overlapped with the campaign to drive IS from the Iraqi city of Mosul, where IS was defeated last month.
Full control of the southern districts would sever Islamic State's last remaining path to the Euphrates River which is to the south of the city.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None