- Title: Venezuelan opposition must carry on - Ledezma's wife
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER ANTONIO LEDEZMA, MITZY CAPRILES, ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE CAMERAMEN AND PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS OF MEDIA FILMING CAPRILES VARIOUS OF CAPRILES AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER ANTONIO LEDEZMA, MITZY CAPRILES, SAYING: "In effect, we have knowledge that Antonio is already in the Ramo Verde military prison. Officially we have not found out from the government's mouth, and I am sure we will have a long announcement from the president (Maduro) where he will likely tell us amidst a chain of laughs and dances that he has sent back to prison the Mayor of Caracas, Antonio Ledezma, and the opposition leader, Leopoldo Lopez." VIDEO OF THE SEIZURE OF ANTONIO LEDEZMA BEING SCREENED AT NEWS CONFERENCE CAPRILES CRYING AS VIDEO IS SCREENED CAPRILES HUGGING HER DAUGHTER NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER ANTONIO LEDEZMA, MITZY CAPRILES, SAYING: "The strategy (following the seizure of Lopez and Ledezma) is to continue fighting, as Antonio constantly says, the strategy, as we have said previously, is not to have the option of giving up, we will not give up. We will continue to take to the streets. It's obvious the government does this to break us, especially to intimidate the family of political prisoners and by touching our family they think we are going to stop." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) WIFE OF VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION LEADER ANTONIO LEDEZMA, MITZY CAPRILES, SAYING: "Be assured that what is happening in Venezuela is no joke. The fact they have seized two fundamental opposition leaders, the events of the last three months, let that be a message to the entire world that Venezuela is experiencing a massacre, it's a huge attack against human rights and human rights abuses are being carried out openly in our country." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS TEARFUL CAPRILES HUGGING DAUGHTER NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS CAPRILES LEAVING MEDIA CAPRILES TALKING ON PHONE
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 14:42
- Keywords: Mitzy Capriles Antonio Ledezma Venezuela Nicolas Maduro opposition leaders seized
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBSEO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Venezuelan opposition must not be intimidated by the detention of two of its leaders, the wife of one of the men taken seized from their homes said on Tuesday (August 1).
Mitzy Capriles, the wife of seized opposition leader and former Caracas Mayor Antonio Ledezma, addressed a news conference in Madrid, where a video of her husband being taken away was shown.
Lopez and Ledezma are both in Ramo Verde military prison, a decrepit penitentiary next to a slum in Los Teques, about an hour's drive from the capital.
The men are both former mayors in Caracas and high-profile critics of Maduro. Lopez in particular has become the international face of Venezuela's opposition, which is calling for early elections to replace Maduro amid a brutal economic crisis that has food and medicines running short.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None