- Title: Pre-recorded video message released hours after Leopoldo Lopez jailed
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (FILE - JULY, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF LOPEZ ON THE ROOF OF HIS HOUSE GENERAL VIEW OF LOPEZ ON ROOF WITH SUPPORTERS CHEERING FOR HIM ON THE DAY HE WAS GRANTED HOUSE ARREST, SUPPORTERS CHANTING "YES WE CAN" LOPEZ ON ROOF KISSING VENEZUELAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 19:31
- Keywords: Lopez Maduro political body opposition leftist government Tintori pregnant blow Ledezma election Venezuela jailed constitution critics
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SBT8P3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A video message by opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez was released just hours after he was taken back to prison on Tuesday (August 1) after the election of a new political body with absolute powers to strengthen the hand of the leftist government.
In a statement announcing the jailing of opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez and veteran politician Antonio Ledezma, the pro-government Supreme Court said the two were planning to flee the country and had violated terms of their house arrest by making political statements and speaking to media.
Both of the men's lawyers flatly rejected these accusations, adding they had not violated the terms of their house arrest measures.
Meanwhile, Lopez confirmed in a video sent to 6.5 of his Twitter followers, that his wife, Lilian Tintori's pregnancy was "another reason to fight for Venezuela" and added it was "the best news he had received in the last three and a half years." The video was recorded on July 17 in case Lopez was arrested again and taken from his home.
Lopez was granted house arrest in July following three years in prison for his role in anti-government street protests in 2014.
Government opponents called the abrupt removal of the men from their homes by security forces in nighttime raids a sign of Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro's determination to silence rivals and stamp out four months of massive street protests against him.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None