- Title: Paris 2024 candidacy team welcomes "very close" Olympics win
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) INTERIOR OF PARIS 2024 CANDIDACY TEAM HEADQUARTERS COUNTDOWN COUNTING DAYS LEFT UNTIL FINAL IOC DECISION IN LIMA MAP OF PARIS WITH PARIS 2024 FACILITIES
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 16:39
- Keywords: Olympics Paris 2024 Los Angeles IOC reaction
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0056SBSWUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Paris 2024 candidacy team welcomed calmly the news that victory in the race for the 2024 Olympics was all but guaranteed on Tuesday (August 1).
Paris 2024 CEO Etienne Thobois told Reuters TV the team was staying focused until the ICO's final decision in September in Lima, even if a feeling of satisfaction was growing.
Paris was seen as the front-runner for the 2024 Games because it had been passed over in a series of earlier Olympic bids and because the French capital will have marked 100 years since the last time it hosted the Games.
The French capital was competing with Los Angeles for the 2024 Summer Games after several other contenders withdrew, and the stage was set for Paris to win its bid when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) confirmed that Los Angeles had officially embraced the later date of 2028.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None