- Title: Protesters demand justice for the murder of Kenya vote official
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH BANNER READING (Swahili) "JUSTICE AND FAIRNESS" PROTESTERS OUTSIDE ELECTORAL COMMISSION HEADQUARTERS CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST, JOHN GITHONGO, SHAKING HANDS WITH INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL AND BOUNDARIES COMMISSION (IEBC) CHAIRMAN, WAFULA CHEBUKATI (SOUNDBITE) (English) CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST, JOHN GITHONGO, SAYING: "Elections are next week. In Kenya we have a grim tradition of senior public officials dying, disappearing or generally being murdered and that is destabilising and seeing how close elections are it is concerning. But we are also here to condole with the family of Mr Msando. It is a terrible loss. And also to stand in solidarity with IEBC." CIVIL SOCIETY MEMBERS AND IEBC OFFICIALS TALKING TO JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) IEBC CHAIRPERSON, WAFULA CHEBUKATI, SAYING: "We are appealing to the government to provide security for all our staff, especially our returning officers and senior staff. There is communication going on between our team and the IG, Inspector General of police, this afternoon to map out strategies of how to secure our staff." VARIOUS OF AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL SECURITY AND POLICY ANALYST, ABDULLAHI BORU, ON COMPUTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL SECURITY AND POLICY ANALYST, ABDULLAHI BORU, SAYING: "We have been in a campaign, an election campaign, for the last four years so I think we are not at a great place like I said at the beginning, I was at a different place until last Friday. Now I don't know where we are. I think the mood is one of trepidation, of people not knowing what is going to happen, of people leaving, you know, people are saying: 'if the only reason, and the only reason for which I will lose my life is voting, why should I vote ?'" VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPERS FOR SALE ON STREET HEADLINE READING (English): "WHO KILLED MSANDO? CHEBUKATI DEMANDS" PEOPLE READING NEWSPAPERS
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 15:44
- Keywords: Protest following death of Chris Msando election IEBC electoral commission elections voting civil rights activist John Githongo IEBC chair Wafula Chebukati
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBQ98N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters marched on the offices of Kenya's election commission on Tuesday (August 1), demanding a speedy enquiry into the murder of a senior official that has raised fears of turmoil before next week's vote.
The group sang and held up banners denouncing the killing and demanding justice.
Chris Msando, the election board's head of information, communication and technology, was tortured before he was killed, authorities said on Monday (July 31).
He oversaw the live transmission of election results, a contentious area that the opposition has alleged could be used to rig the polls.
Msando's family reported him missing on the evening of July 30, a day after police had already taken his body to the mortuary. It was unclear whether the police knew his identity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None