- Title: President Xi says China loves peace but won't compromise on sovereignty
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: CEREMONY ENDING XI AND LI LEAVING MILITARY AND CIVILIAN OFFICIALS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 06:29
- Keywords: China military PLA Xi Jinping anniversary speech sovereignty
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046SBR6F9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China loves peace but will never compromise on defending its sovereignty, President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday (August 1) while marking 90 years since the founding of the People's Liberation Army.
Xi, speaking at the Great Hall of the People, made no direct reference to any particular territorial dispute, as he sought to assure that China's intentions were peaceful, but also show that China would not be bullied.
China has rattled nerves around Asia and globally with its increasingly assertive stance in territorial disputes in the East and South China Seas and an ambitious military modernisation plan.
China's armed forces, the world's largest, are in the midst of an ambitious modernisation programme, which includes investment in technology and new equipment, such as stealth fighters and aircraft carriers, as well as cuts to troop numbers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.