- Title: Paris welcomes news city on course to host 2024 Olympics
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE) (REUTERS) BOAT PASSING UNDERNEATH BRIDGE ALONG RIVER SEINE IN FRONT OF EIFFEL TOWER BOAT ON RIVER SEINE SACRE COEUR BASILICA
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 10:26
- Keywords: Paris Olympics 2024 Los Angeles IOC bid
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBQSZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People in the streets of Paris on Tuesday (August 1) warmly welcomed news that the French capital city was the last candidate standing in the run for the 2024 Olympics bid.
Paris was competing with Los Angeles for the 2024 Summer Games after several other contenders withdrew, but Los Angeles agreed to accept the consolation prize of the 2028 Games leaving the way clear for Paris.
Paris was seen as the front-runner for the 2024 Games because it had been passed over in a series of earlier Olympic bids and because the French capital will have marked 100 years since the last time it hosted the Games.
The decision, subject to formal ratification by the IOC at a meeting in Peru in September, paves the way for Los Angeles and Paris to join London as the only cities ever to host the Games - summer or winter - three times since the modern Olympics began more than a century ago.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None