- Title: Feeding the needy with an 800 year old recipe in Lima
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: BALCONIES IN FOREGROUND AND BUILDINGS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE THE FOOD FESTIVAL IS HELD BALCONY GENERAL VIEW OF STREET IN THE NEIHBORHOOD ADJACENT TO FOOD FESTIVAL
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 03:31
- Keywords: Lima Peru religious festival stew puchero
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0056SLPVER
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of needy individuals were fed in the Peruvian capital on Wednesday (August 2) during a religious festival that mixes the divine with the gastronomic. Fifteen massive cauldrons were used to concoct the traditional stew of La Porciuncula at the convent of the parish of Our Lady of the Angels in the Rimac district of Lima.
This dish has been prepared for over 800 years to feed thousands of people and includes carrots, squash, green beans, peas, fava beans, potato, corn, as well as chicken, beef and lamb.
Traditionally, this feast is made for the less fortunate so they can satiate their hunger in preparation for the Day of the Plenary Indulgence. The Order of the Franciscans who organized the event Wednesday (August 2) indicated that all the ingredients were donated this year.
In addition to the religious aspect, Peru's prestigious Gastronomic Society also participated in the preparation of La Porciuncula this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None