- Title: Feeding the needy with an 800 year old recipe in Lima
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF THE ALAMEDA DE LOS DESCALZOS (PUBLIC GARDEN FIRST BUILT IN 1611) ROW OF PLANT POTS AND LAMPOSTS IN PUBLIC GARDEN STATUE REPRESENTING THE ZODIAC SIGN SCORPIO IN GARDEN PUBLIC GARDEN WITH ADJACENT NEIGHBORHOOD AND HILLS IN BACKGROUND VOLUNTEERS PREPARING "PUCHERO" (A DISH BASED ON VEGETABLES, CHICKEN AND BEEF) VOLUNTEER ADDING INGREDIENTS TO HIS LARGE CAULDRON OF "PUCHERO" WOMAN STIRRING "PUCHERO" FRANCISCAN FRIAR POURING "PUCHERO" IN A BUCKET (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FRANCISCAN FRIAR ROQUE CHAVEZ SAYING: "(This is) a Franciscan festival on a global scale. St. Francis asked Christ, when he founded his order with twelve men, his fellows, and he went to the Pope to ask for the indulgence of forgiveness of Assisi."
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 03:31
- Keywords: Lima Peru religious festival stew puchero
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLPVER
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of needy individuals were fed in the Peruvian capital on Wednesday (August 2) during a religious festival that mixes the divine with the gastronomic. Fifteen massive cauldrons were used to concoct the traditional stew of La Porciuncula at the convent of the parish of Our Lady of the Angels in the Rimac district of Lima.
This dish has been prepared for over 800 years to feed thousands of people and includes carrots, squash, green beans, peas, fava beans, potato, corn, as well as chicken, beef and lamb.
Traditionally, this feast is made for the less fortunate so they can satiate their hunger in preparation for the Day of the Plenary Indulgence. The Order of the Franciscans who organized the event Wednesday (August 2) indicated that all the ingredients were donated this year.
In addition to the religious aspect, Peru's prestigious Gastronomic Society also participated in the preparation of La Porciuncula this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None