- Title: Hamburg zoo welcomes four cuddly Siberian tiger cubs
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: HAMBURG, GERMANY (AUGUST 3, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO HAMBURG'S HAGENBECK ZOO VISITORS WAITING AT ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF PELICANS SWIMMING IN LAKE INSIDE ZOO VIEW INTO SIBERIAN TIGER ENCLOSURE SIBERIAN TIGER CUBS LOOKING OUT OF TIGER HOUSE AND STARTING TO EXPLORE OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE VARIOUS OF TIGER MOTHER MARUSCHKA WANDERING AROUND ENCLOSURE AND EATING GRAS TIGER CUBS FOLLOWING THEIR MOTHER AND EXPLORING OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE TIGER MOTHER MARUSCHKA LOOKING OUT OF HOUSE TIGER CUB WALKING BACK IN (SOUNDBITE) (German) ZOOKEEPER TOBIAS TARABA, SAYING: "The tiger family is doing very well. I think Maruschka is also happy that she can go outside again and get some fresh air. She was locked-in behind the scenes for a long time to get some rest and now she is happy to explore the enclosure with her small ones." TIGER CUB LOOKING OUT OF HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (German) ZOOKEEPER TOBIAS TARABA, SAYING: "I didn't expect them to come out that quickly, I thought we would have to wait a bit, but Maruschka has strolled around and checked the enclosure first and then went back in and gave the cubs the okay to come out. I think it's great that they already walking around here." TIGER CUBS IN ENCLOSURE (SOUNDBITE) (German) ZOOKEEPER TOBIAS TARABA, SAYING: "To release them into the wild is unfortunately not an option yet as there is still poaching and also human beings are spreading. Therefore, this is not possible at the moment and so there is only a breeding recommendation, if we are allowed to breed or not. According to this we have to see who fits the best genetically." TIGER CUB LOOKING OUT OF HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (German) ZOOKEEPER TOBIAS TARABA, SAYING: "We are very happy that it is four cubs and that they are all doing well." MORE OF TIGER CUBS IN ENCLOSURE VIEW OF LAKE INSIDE ZOO WITH CHINESE TEMPLE IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 16:28
- Keywords: Siberian tiger cubs Hamburg zoo newborns
- Location: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- City: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLRO7T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Four Siberian tiger cubs made their first public outing at Hamburg's Hagenbeck zoo on Thursday (August 3), exploring their outdoor enclosure for the first time since their birth on June 15.
The two female and two male cubs waited patiently in their indoor space as their mother Maruschka checked out the outdoor enclosure and gave her okay for them to step out.
Zookeeper Tobias Taraba said the zoo was very happy about the healthy tiger offspring. At the moment, it was possible to release them out into the wild as poaching and the growing world population threatened the wildlife habitat for the endangered species, Taraba added.
There are only 500 Siberian tigers left in the wild.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None