- Title: Archbishop of Canterbury visits South Sudanese refugees in Uganda
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: ADJUMANI, UGANDA (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) WOMEN SINGING ON RUNWAY TO WELCOME THE ARCHBISHOP ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY, JUSTIN WELBY, WALKING OUT OF PLANE ARCHBISHOP OF UGANDA, STANLEY NTAGALI, WELCOMING WELBY, SHAKING HANDS WITH HIM / NTAGALI AND WELBY WALKING WOMEN SINGING WELBY SHAKING HANDS WITH OFFICIALS VARIOUS OF REFUGEES IN UNIFORM MARCHING TOWARDS VENUE TO MEET THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY WELBY BEING DRESSED UP IN RELIGIOUS CLOTHING WELBY WALKING AND HOLDING CRUCIFIX CHILDREN WATCHING VARIOUS OF WELBY MEETING CHILDREN WELBY SHAKING HANDS WITH PEOPLE CHILD SMILING
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 18:46
- Keywords: Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby South Sudan Refugees Uganda
- Location: ADJUMANI, UGANDA
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGSY87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby visited camps for South Sudanese refugees in northern Uganda on Wednesday (August 2).
The camps are home to hundreds of thousands of displaced South Sudanese following a bloody four-year civil war.
Archbishop Welby told refugees that nothing is impossible in the eyes of God and encouraged them to pray for themselves as well as their homeland.
In total about 1.8 million people have fled South Sudan since December 2013 when war broke out. It's the world's fastest growing refugee crisis and largest cross-border exodus in Africa since the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
Ugandan authorities have tightened security at refugee camps in recent days, fearing armed groups could try and abduct refugees from rival ethnic groups.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.