- Title: Rwandan presidential candidates hold final election rallies
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: KIGALI, RWANDA (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RWANDAN PRESIDENT, PAUL KAGAME, CAMPAIGN RALLY, PEOPLE WAVING FPR (RWANDAN PATRIOTIC FRONT) FLAGS KAGAME ARRIVING AT CAMPAIGN RALLY
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 20:52
- Keywords: President Paul Kagame Frank Habineza Campaign rallies Supporters Rwanda Kigali Rwandan election Rwandan presidential election
- Location: KIGALI, RWANDA
- City: KIGALI, RWANDA
- Country: Rwanda
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGSZT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Presidential hopefuls in the Rwandan elections (August 4) held their final campaigns in the country's capital of Kigali on Wednesday (August 2).
Incumbent Paul Kagame and one of his main rivals, Frank Habineza, took to the stage in a last minute effort to try to convince voters before Friday's (August 4) election.
Kagame, who is running for a third term, has been president since 2000 but has effectively in control since his rebel force marched into Kigali in 1994 to end a genocide.
Despite being poor in resources, Rwanda is becoming increasingly popular in Africa for donors and investors and Kagame has been feted as a visionary leader and an African icon.
However, activists say development has come at the expense of civil liberties and media freedom. Some of his political opponents have been killed after they fled abroad, in cases that remain unsolved. The government denies any involvement.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None