- Title: Kenya opposition leader campaigns in Maasai community
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: NASA OFFICIALS ON STAGE DANCING PEOPLE WATCHING TIMELAPSE OF PEOPLE LEAVING
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 18:52
- Keywords: Raily Odinga rally election campaigning Uhuru Kenyatta NASA Maasi community
- Location: SUSWA, KENYA
- City: SUSWA, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SGSXFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kenya opposition leader Raila Odinga was on the campaign trail in Suswa, near the capital Nairobi on Wednesday (August 2) to woo voters among the Maasai community, promising jobs and free healthcare for the elderly.
A veteran opposition leader, Odinga is running against incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta in next week's August 8 polls, when Kenyans will choose a new president, lawmakers and local representatives.
Speaking to a Reuters' journalist just before he got into his helicopter, Odinga said the ruling party cannot win next week's national elections unless it rigs the result.
Many voters are jittery, fearing a repeat of the 2007 polls, when Odinga alleged rigging and called for demonstrations. The political protests and ethnic violence that followed killed more than 1,200 people.
During the next polls, in 2013, Odinga also lost and called foul, but he took his concerns to court and the elections were largely peaceful.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.