- Title: Indonesia jails man who grew marijuana to treat cancer-stricken wife
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: YENI RIA WATI'S PHOTOGRAPH RELATIVE FLIPPING THROUGH PHOTO ALBUM PHOTOS IN ALBUM SHOWING SUDEWARTO CARING FOR HIS WIFE
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 14:06
- Keywords: Indonesia man jailed growing marijuana grew medicinal marijuana treating cancer cancer-stricken wife
- Location: SANGGAU, WEST KALIMANTAN PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- City: SANGGAU, WEST KALIMANTAN PROVINCE, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SGR685
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An Indonesian court on Borneo island on Wednesday (August 2) jailed a man for eight months after he grew medicinal marijuana to help ease the pain of his cancer-stricken wife, who died shortly after his arrest, his lawyer said.
The Sanggau district court in West Kalimantan province also fined Fidelis Arie Sudewarto 1 billion rupiah ($75,000), his lawyer Marcelina Lin said. The term was longer than the five months that the prosecution had sought.
According to his lawyer, the court had found that Arie did not have a permit to use marijuana and had supplied it to another person, although he said the judge accepted that he was not a user or a dealer.
Indonesia has some of the strictest drug laws in the world and President Joko Widodo recently told law enforcement officers to shoot drug traffickers to deal with a 'drugs emergency'.
But Sudewarto's case has stirred the sympathy and outrage of rights activists.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.