- Title: Suicide bomber targets NATO-led convoy in Afghanistan, casualties confirmed
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NATO SOLDIERS, ARMOURED VEHICLES NEAR DAMAGED VEHICLE AT ATTACK SITE NATO HELICOPTER TAKING OFF FIREFIGHTER TRUCK DRIVING PAST ATTACK SITE PEOPLE LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Pashto) EYEWITNESS OF THE ATTACK, SAMI UL-HAQ, SAYING: "I was working in the area and saw a convoy of foreigners passing by the road when suddenly a huge explosion occurred. Right after the explosion, the area was covered with dust and smoke and then I saw a tank of foreigners had caught fire." AFGHAN ARMY VEHICLES DRIVING TOWARDS ATTACK SITE NATO ARMORED VEHICLES AT ATTACK SITE
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 12:54
- Keywords: Afghanistan attack NATO convoy suicide bomber Afghanistan bomb
- Location: KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGR4N9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A suicide bomber attacked a convoy of international troops near the airport in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Wednesday (August 2), a security official said, and the NATO-led military coalition confirmed there were casualties.
A local security official said the attacker drove an explosives-laden vehicle into the convoy. No further details were immediately available.
The airport in Kandahar is home to a major military base for international troops helping Afghan security forces.
The coalition maintains nearly 13,000 troops from 39 countries as part of a mission to train, advise and assist Afghan troops, who are struggling to contain a resurgent Taliban insurgency.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None