- Title: Neymar transfer fee 'beyond rationality' - Wenger
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - JUNE 3, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FORMER BARCELONA PRESIDENT SANDRO ROSELL AND NEYMAR SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 16:49
- Keywords: PSG soccer Barcelona transfer Paris Saint-Germain football record Arsenal Arsene Wenger Neymar
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SLSVNJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger described Neymar's prospective record-breaking transfer to Paris Saint-Germain as 'beyond rationality'.
The Frenchman was speaking at a news conference in London on Thursday (August 3) ahead of his side's Community Shield match against Premier League champions Chelsea.
Brazilian forward Neymar is on the verge of a move to the Parisian side from Barcelona for a fee of 222 million euro.
Wenger said it is difficult to respect Financial Fair Play regulations when a state owns a football club and views a player like Neymar as good investment for their country.
The Arsenal manager also said his side cannot compete at the same financial level as PSG and that a player is worth whatever a buying club can afford to spend.
Neymar's move appeared to hit a roadblock on Thursday as La Liga rejected the payment of his Barcelona release clause, though it was not immediately clear whether it would put the brakes on the transfer.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None