- Title: Lionel Richie, Gloria Estefan lead 2017 Kennedy Center honorees
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - JULY 1, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF MUSICIAN, LIONEL RICHIE, SPEAKING TO PRESS NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 12, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SINGER, GLORIA ESTEFAN, AND HUSBAND, EMILIO ESTEFAN
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 18:34
- Keywords: Kennedy Center Honors Carmen de Lavallade Gloria Estefan LL COOL J Norman Lear Lionel Richie
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK + LOS ANGELES, BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK + LOS ANGELES, BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLSWGD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS VIDEO THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY 4:3
Veteran musician Lionel Richie, hip-hop star and actor LL Cool J and Cuban-American singer and actress Gloria Estefan will receive prestigious Kennedy Center Honors this year, CBS network said Thursday (August 3).
The 40th Kennedy Center Honors, to air on CBS on Dec. 26, is one of the highest awards in American culture, celebrating lifetime achievements through the performing arts.
Other 2017 honorees are television writer-producer Norman Lear and dancer, choreographer and actress Carmen de Lavallade.
"The Kennedy Center Honors spotlights the extraordinary careers of five artists whose talent and ingenuity have enriched and shaped cultural life in America," David M. Rubenstein, chairman of the Kennedy Center, said in a statement.
The awards will be presented at a gala at Washington D.C.'s Kennedy Center Opera House on Dec. 3, and is expected to be attended by U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None