- Title: Spain's La Liga rejects Neymar payment over PSG move - source
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (AUGUST 3, 2017) (REUTERS) JOURNALISTS WAITING OUTSIDE LA LIGA BUILDING SIGN READING "LA LIGA" LAWYER REPRESENTING NEYMAR, JUAN DE DIOS CRESPO (WEARING HAT) AND LEGAL TEAM ARRIVING AT LA LIGA VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF LA LIGA LAWYERS DEPARTING DECLINING TO COMMENT LAWYER GETTING IN CAR VARIOUS OF CAR LEAVING
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 11:52
- Keywords: Neymar Barcelona PSG soccer
- Location: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: MADRID AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLRSXR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's La Liga on Thursday (August 3) rejected payment of a record-breaking release clause that would allow Neymar to leave Barcelona for Paris St. Germain, a source from the national soccer league said.
A group of lawyers representing Neymar visited La Liga in Madrid on Thursday to try to settle the transfer and pay the 222 million-euro ($263 million) break fee.
The Brazilian striker's agent Wagner Ribeiro had confirmed on Wednesday (August 2) that the French club was ready to foot the bill so that Neymar could be presented at PSG at the weekend.
It was not immediately clear whether La Liga's refusal to accept payment would put the brakes on the transfer. Spain's Marca newspaper reported that Neymar and his advisers would turn to FIFA, world soccer's governing body, requesting a provisional transfer to PSG.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None