- Title: Syrians evacuate Lebanese border camps for rebel-held territory
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: JUROUD FLITA, SYRIA (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT TIME SHOTS) VARIOUS OF RED CRESCENT VEHICLES VARIOUS OF CONVOY OF VEHICLES WITH NUSRA FIGHTERS ARRIVING IN FLITA VARIOUS OF CONVOYS LEAVING FLITA FOR IDLIB
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 22:09
- Keywords: Syria Juroud Flita Al Nusra Fighters Buses carrying Syrian militants heading to Idlib in Syria Arsal Shi'ite Hezbollah
- Location: JUROUD FLITA, SYRIA
- City: JUROUD FLITA, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGTJK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Buses carrying Syrian militants and refugees left Flita coming from Arsal in Lebanon and heading to Idlib in Syria, under a deal made after Shi'ite Hezbollah routed Sunni Islamist Nusra Front insurgents in their last foothold at the frontier.
Some 7,000 Syrians including 1,000 militants, their families and refugees are to leave the Lebanese town of Arsal and the surrounding border area and head for Syria's northwestern Idlib province under the deal, Hezbollah-run media outlets said. Hezbollah's Al Manar television said that 113 buses had begun leaving Arsal town, headed for Flita on the Syrian side.
The transfer echoes deals struck within Syria in which Damascus has shuttled rebels and civilians to Idlib and other opposition areas. Such evacuations have helped President Bashar al-Assad recapture several rebel bastions over the past year, and are criticised by the opposition as amounting to the forced transfer of populations seen as sympathetic to the opposition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None