- Title: Italy swealters under 40C heatwave
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (AUGUST 3, 2017) (REUTERS) TOURISTS AROUND SPANISH STEPS WOMAN DRINKING WATER FROM BOTTLE WOMEN SEATED BY FOUNTAIN DRINKING WATER / MAN FILLING BOTTLE WITH WATER FROM FOUNTAIN GIRLS DRINKING WATER FROM BOTTLE AND POURING WATER OVER THEIR HEADS AND NECKS (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM, PHIL JONES, SAYING: "Oh, it is very warm. We are here with my wife, we are visiting from England and we've had some nice weather this year but it's not as hot as Rome, nowhere near. We're making sure we're drinking lots of water and it's just fantastic having all the water fountains around Rome, fantastic." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURISTS FROM BELGIUM, JAN AND MAREKE, SAYING: (MAREKE SAYING) "We drink a lot of water, no alcohol, water." (JAN SAYING) "And we wear a hat and glasses and that's the kind of stuff." CHILDREN PLAYING WITH WATER AND THROWING WATER OVER WOMAN AND LAUGHING ELECTRONIC BOARD OUTSIDE PHARMACY SHOWING TIME 11:37 AND TEMPERATURE OF 41 DEGREES CELSIUS GIRLS FILLING THEIR HATS WITH WATER FROM FOUNTAIN AND PUTTING HATS ON THEIR HEADS MAN FILLING BOTTLE WITH WATER FROM FOUNTAIN QUEUE OF PEOPLE WAITING TO TAKE WATER FROM FOUNTAIN MAN SPLASHING WATER FROM FOUNTAIN WATER IN FOUNTAIN PEOPLE SEATED AT OUTDOOR TERRACE OF BAR FAN SPREADING WATER MIST OVER BAR TERRACE PEOPLE SEATED AT OUTDOOR TERRACE OF BAR FAN SPREADING WATER MIST OVER BAR TERRACE LARGE CROWDS AT TREVI FOUNTAIN WOMAN CARRYING BOTTLE OF WATER AND ICE CREAM VARIOUS OF YOUNG BOY EATING ICE CREAM YOUNG WOMAN EATING ICE CREAM LARGE CROWDS AT TREVI FOUNTAIN
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 13:43
- Keywords: Italy heatwave tourists Rome fountains record high temperatures
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Environment,Temperature
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLR96V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Italy faced record high temperatures on Thursday (August 3) with the thermometer hitting 40 degrees Celsius in many parts of the country.
An African heat wave is sweeping across the country, forcing authorities to issue risk warnings for 26 cities on Thursday. A "red alarm", indicating the highest level of risk from the heat, has been issued for cities including top tourist destinations Florence, Rome, Venice and Verona.
In the capital, tourists taking in the Eternal City's sights under the scorching sun could be seen making good use of Rome's many water fountains, re-filling their bottles and pouring water over their heads.
Meteorologists forecast temperatures of around 40 degrees Celsius for Rome and several parts of Italy until Monday (August 7). In the south and Sardinia, temperatures are expected to reach highs of 42 degrees Celsius.
Many locals tend to flee the city at the start of August. For the tourists that remain, the trick appears to be to move slowly, stay hydrated and keep close to the fountains.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None