- Title: Excited PSG fans shrug off fee for Neymar transfer
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 3, 2017) (REUTERS) ARC DE TRIOMPHE AT TOP OF CHAMPS ELYSEES PEOPLE WALKING ON CHAMPS ELYSEES PARIS ST GERMAIN (PSG) LOGO OFFICIAL PSG SHOP VARIOUS OF TEAM SOCCER SHIRTS WITH NAMES OF PLAYERS FRIENDS, JEAN-BAPTISTE SOURDILLAT AND JEAN-BAPTISTE HAREL, LOOKING AT SHIRTS (SOUNDBITE) (French) SOCCER FAN, JEAN-BAPTISTE SOURDILLAT, SAYING: "It's clearly a new level and it goes further than just the sporting side, it's also the image of PSG who will really be able to play in the same court as the really great clubs like Real Madrid, Barca and the Champions League, clubs which up until now have been more highly regarded." (SOUNDBITE) (French) SOCCER FAN, JEAN-BAPTISTE HAREL, SAYING: "It (the cost) makes sense when you look at the prices that are around today, when you think that last year Pogba was bought for 100 million euros, 220 million euros for Neymar doesn't seem incredible to me. That said, 220 million euros is indecent but he's not responsible for the market in football as it is today. So it's indecent but those are the figures you see and that you're used to seeing so it doesn't surprise me too much." PSG BAGS T-SHIRT WITH PSG SLOGAN SAYING (French): "HERE YOU'RE IN PARIS" SHIRTS PRICES TOURNOUX FAMILY LOOKING AT SHIRTS (SOUNDBITE) (French) PSG FAN, ARNAUD TOURNOUX, SAYING: "I think that no player is worth that sort of money but I think it's a good investment because they'll make lots of money with him and be recognised around the world." (SOUNDBITE) (French) NINE-YEAR-OLD PSG FAN, QUENTIN TOURNOUX, SAYING: "He's a good player, he's had a great year at Barcelona and now he's going to try and do better with Paris." SHOPPERS LOOKING AT SHIRTS HATS SHOP
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 13:35
- Keywords: Neymar transfer Paris St Germain fans PSG
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLRXOF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French soccer fans welcomed the expected arrival of star striker Neymar at Paris St Germain on Thursday (August 3), though admitted that the record-breaking 222 million euro deal was "indecent".
Neymar's move appeared to hit a roadblock on Thursday as La Liga rejected the payment of his Barcelona release clause, though it was not immediately clear whether it would put the brakes on the transfer.
The striker's agent Wagner Ribeiro had said on Wednesday that the French club was ready to foot the bill so that Neymar could be presented at PSG at the weekend.
Fans in the club's official shop on the Champs Elysees in Paris said his arrival would mark a new era in the history of the club.
"He's a good player, he's had a great year at Barcelona and now he's going to try and do better with Paris," nine-year-old fan Quentin Tournoux said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None