- Title: Clashes break out between opposition and Venzuelan security forces
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (AUGUST 04, 2017) (REUTERS) TEAR GAS IN FOREGROUND WITH MARCHERS IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF MOTORCYCLE ON FIRE POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS MAN PUTTING OUT MOTORCYCLE FIRE PROTESTERS BEHIND HOME-MADE SHIELDS WITH TEAR GAS IN FOREGROUND VARIOUS OF TEAR GAS GOING OFF IN MIDST OF OPPOSITION ACTIVISTS NATIONAL POLICE STANDING NEXT TO ARMOURED VEHICLE TEAR GAS ON STREET TEAR GAS CANISTER LYING ON STREET OPPOSITION ACTIVISTS AT PROTEST RIOT POLICE WALKING DOWN STREET TOWARD PROTEST OPPOSITION ACTIVISTS RUNNING CARS DRIVING DOWN STREET IN MIDST OF PROTEST VARIOUS OF POLICE ON MOTORCYCLES DURING PROTEST FIRST AID VEHICLES IN MIDST OF GASES POLICE ON MOTORCYCLES PEOPLE MARCHING MOTORCYCLE LYING ON GROUND BURNING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MIGUEL PIZARRO, MEMBER OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, SAYING: "We are walking down Francisco de Miranda (Avenue). We are walking in the march against the fraudulent Constituent Assembly, against this historic scam to destroy the Republic." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 22:07
- Keywords: opposition clashes with security forces as constituent assembly is sworn in Constituent Assembly Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SQT5QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes broke out between opposition supporters and security forces in Caracas, Venezuela on Friday (August 4) after the government inaugurated a new legislative superbody that is expected to rewrite the constitution and give vast new powers to the ruling Socialist Party.
For four months, opposition demonstrators have been clashing with security forces, often building barricades and lobbing rocks at security forces. At least 125 people have died in the unrest.
Protests against the inauguration of the assembly by the opposition were relatively modest.
There has been worldwide condemnation that the new 545-member assembly undermines democratic freedoms in the OPEC nation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None