- Title: Nine family members killed in Yemen air strike
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: SAADA, YEMEN (AUGUST 4, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED AT SITE OF AIR STRIKE, BULLDOZERS CLEARING AREA PEOPLE STANDING NEXT TO BURNT OUT CAR PEOPLE PASSING BY AIR STRIKE SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, ABUDL KARIM SIFAN, SAYING: "Today is Friday, eight people were hit, (Qat sellers) they are known by the people, they are all citizens." BULLDOZER CLEARING AREA, PEOPLE LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, YAHYA MOHAMMED, SAYING: "What happened today is a major issue. The bombing of a citizen's home in the Sohar province (Saada governorate)." BULLDOZER CLEARING AREA
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 15:45
- Keywords: Saudi-led airstrike in Yemen civil war in Yemen Yemeni Houthi group airstrike in Saada
- Location: SAADA, YEMEN
- City: SAADA, YEMEN
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SQS4LJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Three women and six children from the same family were killed in an air strike by the Saudi-led coalition on their home in northern Yemen on Friday (August 4), a local health official said, the latest in a series of attacks since 2015.
Pictures from the scene showed the house completely destroyed by the strike and residents who rushed to the scene were afraid to start rescue work.
The head of the local health department, Dr Abdel-Ilah al-Azzi, said the attack at dawn on the family home of Taha al-Dharafi in Mahda district on the south-western outskirts of Saada city, also injured three other people.
It was not immediately clear if the house was hit by mistake, but the coalition says it does not target civilians.
Saada, a stronghold of the Houthi group, which hails from the Zaidi branch of Shi'ite Islam, has been repeatedly hit by air strikes since the coalition of Arab states joined the civil war in March 2015. They see the war as an attempt by Iran to expand its influence in Yemen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None