- Title: Neymar says he followed his heart, not the record money, to PSG
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEYMAR'S FATHER, NEYMAR SENIOR, AND MOTHER, NADINE DA SILVA, ARRIVING, SITTING DOWN NEYMAR SENIOR NEYMAR WALKING INTO NEWS CONFERENCE, GREETING FRIENDS AND FAMILY, SITTING DOWN NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR AND NEW PSG SIGNING, NEYMAR, SAYING: "On the question of ambition, which this club (PSG) has, it seems very similar to mine. I want something bigger, I want a bigger challenge and my heart chose, my heart made this decision and my heart made me follow this ambition and that's why I'm here in front of you today in order to give my best to help this club, to help our team to achieve and to win trophies." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR AND NEW PSG SIGNING, NEYMAR, SAYING: "It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever taken. I was at a great club at Barcelona, I love Barcelona, I have friends at the club, some fantastic players and it wasn't easy at all, I can guarantee you that. It was a very tense moment, I had to think and rethink and think again about what I wanted to achieve and do in my life so of course I'm leaving a lot of very good friends behind but I am very happy, very happy because football makes me happy." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR AND NEW PSG SIGNING, NEYMAR, SAYING: "What I would say to people is they don't know anything about my personal life. I was never motivated by money, it was never my first motivation. What I think about is my happiness, how I want to be happy and together with my family, I want them to be happy. I am very happy, I was following my heart, not considering the money. If I was following the money I might be somewhere else in different teams in other countries. I'm really sad to hear that people still think that way and I would really like to thank Paris St Germain because they believe in my potential and I want to pay them back." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (English) PSG PRESIDENT, NASSER AL-KHELAIFI, SAYING: "You ask yourself in two years is it going to be expensive? Maybe today it is the most expensive, it's true. But in two or three years? Actually, you know when we look at Neymar as a brand with Paris St Germain I don't think it's expensive honestly because I'm sure we're going to make more money than what we pay definitely." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR AND NEW PSG SIGNING, NEYMAR, SAYING: "We've already had a bit of pre-season, I only stopped practice in the last two days but I'm ready. I'm happy, I've seen the pitch and I really wanted to put my boots on and put the PSG shirt on and start to kick the ball around but I will speak with staff, I will wait for the green light, but this is what I love to do, play football." CAMERAMEN FILMING VARIOUS OF NEYMAR AND AL-KHELAIFI POSING WITH NEYMAR'S PSG SHIRT JOURNALISTS AT NEWS CONFERENCE NEYMAR EMBRACING FAMILY AND FRIENDS
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 16:47
- Keywords: Neymar presentation Paris St German PSG money transfer fee Champions League
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SQRZUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT IS A HIGHER QUALITY EDIT, REPLACING 5118-SOCCER-NEYMAR/UNVEILING
Money was never the motivating factor for Neymar's record 222 million-euro ($261 million) transfer from Barcelona, the world's most expensive footballer said on his arrival at Paris St. Germain on Friday (August 4).
Before taking to the pitch at the Parc des Princes stadium to show off his skills and new PSG shirt, the Brazilian forward told reporters he had moved to France was because he "wanted a bigger challenge".
"I was following my heart, not considering the money," said the player who will reportedly be paid 45 million euros ($53 million) a year.
"What I think about is my happiness, how I want to be happy and together with my family, I want them to be happy (...) I'm really sad to hear that people still think that way."
The jaw-dropping deal is the first time that a world record transfer fee has been doubled in one swoop. The previous record was midfielder Paul Pogba's move last year from Juventus to Manchester United for 105 million euros.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None