- Title: German techno band 'Scooter' faces charges for Crimea concert - Ukraine envoy
- Date: 5th August 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) 'SCOOTER' FRONT MAN, H.P. BAXXTER, SAYING: "Good evening, Crimea! Are you ready to rock? Are you ready to rave?" (OFF CAMERA AUDIENCE REPLYING (English): "Yes")
- Embargoed: 19th August 2017 13:39
- Keywords: Crimea German techno band 'Scooter' concert in Crimea Ukraine Russia annexed peninsula performance H.P. Baxxter
- Location: SIMFEROPOL AND BALAKLAVA, CRIMEA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SVPDMH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE SPEECH
German techno band Scooter faces significant legal consequences for performing at a festival in the Crimea region of Ukraine that was annexed by Russia in 2014, the Ukrainian ambassador to Germany said an interview published Saturday (August 5).
Andrij Melnyk, Ukraine's envoy to Germany, told the Funke Mediengruppe newspaper chain that the band's decision to enter the Crimea region "illegally" on Thursday was "not only a scandal, but also a crime with serious legal consequences."
Melnyk said Ukrainian prosecutors had already begun legal proceedings against the band.
"This isn't some minor infraction, but a serious crime that will be punished," he told the newspaper group.
The band was appeared at the ZBFest rock festival in Balaklava on Friday.
Scooter front man H.P. Baxxter told German media last month the band was going to Crimea to perform music, not engage in politics.
No comment was immediately available from the band.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None