- Title: Neymar denies money was motivation for record deal
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** BRAZILIAN FORWARD AND NEWLY-SIGNED PSG PLAYER, NEYMAR, ARRIVING FOR PRESENTATION AND NEWS BRIEFING NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN FORWARD AND NEWLY-SIGNED PSG PLAYER, NEYMAR, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "Well, it was one of the most difficult decisions I ever took in my life. I was at a great club at Barcelona, I love Barcelona, I have friends at the club, some fantastic players. And it wasn't easy at all, I can guarantee you that. It was very tense moments, I had to think and re-think and think again about what I wanted to achieve and do in my life." NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN FORWARD AND NEWLY-SIGNED PSG PLAYER, NEYMAR, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "Well what I could tell these people is that they don't know anything about my personal life. I was never motivated by money. It was never my first motivation. What I think about is my happiness. I want to be happy, and together with my family, I want them to be happy. And I'm very happy; I always follow my heart, not considering the money. If I were following the money I would maybe be somewhere else, in some different teams in other countries. And I'm really sad to hear that people still think that way and I really would like to thank Paris St. Germain because they believe in my potential and I want to pay them back." (SOUNDBITE) (English) PSG CLUB PRESIDENT, NASSER AL-KHELAIFI, SAYING: "Neymar he came here for motivation, for a project, and that's what he believes in. I can guarantee you today he can get much more money than what we give him, what we give Neymar. And that's for sure, you know, so he didn't come - I can guarantee you, trust you - he didn't come for money." NEYMAR LISTENING TO JOURNALIST'S QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (English) PSG CLUB PRESIDENT, NASSER AL-KHELAIFI, SAYING: "We've been very transparent from day one and we're going to be until the last day here. With UEFA, with Financial Fair Play, we are under the regulation of UEFA, and Financial Fair Play so there's no problem." NEWS BRIEFING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) BRAZILIAN FORWARD AND NEWLY-SIGNED PSG PLAYER, NEYMAR, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "I want to mark history here at Paris St. Germain, this is the only reason. There are new challenges, there's the club's ambition as well. And I want to write history, and help write the history of the club. Our biggest challenge is the Champions League of course, but we do not only want the Champions League, we want all possible trophies and this is the way we will write history." NEWS BRIEFING ENDING / NEYMAR HOLDING NUMBER 10 PSG SHIRT AS HE SHAKES HANDS WITH AL-KHELAIFI QUEUE OF FANS OUTSIDE PARIS ST. GERMAIN SHOP AT PARC DES PRINCES STADIUM FAN WEARING PSG SHIRT WAITING FOR STORE TO OPEN VARIOUS OF NEYMAR SHIRTS IN SHOP FANS TRYING TO ENTER SHOP BOY SHOWING OFF SHIRT QUEUE FOR SHOP FAN, ABDERAMAN, LEAVING WITH NEYMAR SCARF (SOUNDBITE) (French) FAN, ABDERAMAN, SAYING: "It's good for the club. And we want Neymar to take us to the final of the Champions League. It's so important to have a French club in the final." PSG LOGO IN SHOP FANS QUEUING
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 14:16
- Keywords: Neymar Barcelona Paris St Germain PSG France Parc des Princes stadium Nasser Al-Khelaifi
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026SQQXXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A HIGHER QUALITY VIDEO EDIT 5166-SOCCER-NEYMAR/UNVEILING-UPDATE
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PORTUGUESE TRANSLATION PROVIDED BY OFFICIAL INTERPRETER ON THE GROUND
Neymar, the world's most expensive footballer, said on Friday (August 4) money was never the motivating factor in his record 222 million-euro ($264 million) transfer from Barcelona to Paris St. Germain.
The Brazilian forward told a news conference on his arrival in the French capital that he was motivated by desire for a new challenge and said he wanted to make his debut on Saturday (August 5). Club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi backed up Neymar's assertion that he could have gone elsewhere for more money.
The 25-year-old has signed a five-year deal with the French side after they triggered the release clause in his Barcelona contract, and said the decision to leave the club he joined in June 2013 was his and his alone.
Media reports have said he could earn around 550,000 euros per week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None