- Title: Airport security strike in Barcelona causes passenger delays
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 4, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN QUEUE AT BARCELONA EL PRAT AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (English) MARY LANE, TOURIST FROM CANADA, SAYING: "Yesterday yeah we're supposed to leave to go to Toronto but we missed the flight and today I'm afraid we are going to miss it again." (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHRISTOPHER GRANT, TOURIST FROM THE UNITED STATES, SAYING: "The strike is definitely affecting our plans, everyone has been told to come around four hours ahead of time and like most people we got here four, four and a half hours early." (SOUNDBITE) (English) IGOR JACOB, DUTCH TOURIST, 20-YEARS-OLD, STUDENT, SAYING: "We are in line I think half an hour, it goes steady." (SOUNDBITE) (English) SONIL BATSWANI, TOURIST LIVING IN HOLLAND AND BUSINESS OWNER, SAYING: "I got an e-mail from my airline telling me there was maybe a problem with the airport, so we decided to come early to the airport." PEOPLE QUEUE AT AIRPORT SIGN READING SECURITY CONTROL AND EXCLUSIVE ACCESS FEET MOVING IN QUEUE AND SUITCASES OF PEOPLE IN THE QUEUE QUEUE AT THE AIRPORT FEET MOVING ALONG VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN QUEUE THE AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 11:47
- Keywords: Barcelona airport strike security
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SQR9U5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Passengers in Barcelona's El Prat Airport experienced long delays reaching their boarding areas as security workers checking carry-on luggage staged a partial walk-out on Friday (August 4) demanding better salaries and more staff.
The workers union of the private security company Eulen which runs El Prat's security has said they will strike on Friday, Sunday and Monday over August and they will stop for an hour at four different times of the day.
If by August 14 their demands go unheard, they will strike indefinitely, the union said.
Barcelona's El Prat Airport is one of Spain's busiest hubs in the summer months serving tourists who visit the city and the nearby beaches on the Costa Brava.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None