- Title: Heatwave grips Spain
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 4, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT THE BEACH MEN DRINKING WATER AT THE BEACH WOMEN WALKING WITH BOTTLE OF WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RETIRED LOCAL RESIDENT, FRANCISCA NATE (76), SAYING: "This year I have been feeling it more (heat), I felt it last year but not as much as this year. It's very hot and it makes me grumpy, I am even rude with my husband sometimes" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL RESIDENT, ISABEL GIL (32), SAYING: "It's very heavy (heat wave) and it's true it's very hot and the temperature doesn't drop during the night but the truth is I appreciate it because then when it's cold it's very cold, so it doesn't bother me, I am very pleased." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SUNBATHING WOMAN STANDING ON PADDLE BOARD WOMAN SUNBATHING ON LILO IN THE SEA PEOPLE AT THE BEACH MADRID, SPAIN (AUGUST 4, 2017) (REUTERS) MADRID'S CITY HALL BUILDING AND CIBELES FOUNTAIN CIBELES FOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF MEN LAYING ON THE SHADE SUN SEEN THROUGH TREE LEAVES PEOPLE WALKING WITH UMBRELLA MAN DRINKING WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MUSEUM WORKER, BEGONA, SAYING: "It's terrible, terrible. It's normal for Madrid to be hot so we have to deal with it. It's cool at work because there's air conditioning, but we have to cool down drinking water." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM RUSSIA, ARSENY, SAYING: "We came from Barcelona there it's much more humid and you know, you can't tolerate the heat, but here, it's, you know, when there is shadow it's fine, but in the sun it's really unbearable." PEOPLE STANDING IN THE SHADE GIVEN BY A SIGN BEFORE CROSSING STREET WOMAN STANDING IN THE SHADE UNDER TREES PEOPLE WALKING ON THE STREET
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 14:11
- Keywords: Heatwave Spain weather Europe Barcelona Madrid
- Location: BARCELONA AND MADRID, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA AND MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SQR8ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's state's weather agency, Aemet, warned of especially high temperatures in 18 of the country's 52 provinces on Friday (August 4) pointing to southern regions and the eastern part of the country, along the Mediterranean coast, as areas where temperatures will soar.
Barcelona's city council said it was rolling out heatwave protocols.
This includes tasking emergency services teams with distributing water to the homeless at peak times of day and offering them air-conditioned facilities, as well as looking out for the elderly and other vulnerable people, bringing them food or other assistance at home.
Spain is a major holiday destination for millions of Europeans, who tend to flock to coastal areas.
Temperatures in southern cities including Cordoba and Seville were expected to surpass 40 degrees on Friday, Aemet said, whilst the Spanish capital Madrid was set to hit 38 degrees.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None