- Title: Netanyahu's former aide turns state's witness in bribery case
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: MACAU, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 13, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CASINO MAGNATE SHELDON ADELSON, WITH WIFE ON RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 12:01
- Keywords: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu plice investigation into bribary Files "1000" and "2000"
- Location: TEL AVIV AND LOD, ISRAEL/ JERUSALEM/ MACAU, CHINA
- City: TEL AVIV AND LOD, ISRAEL/ JERUSALEM/ MACAU, CHINA
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SQQ9FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A former top aide to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will testify on behalf of state prosecutors in two graft cases in which the Israeli prime minister has been questioned as a suspect, a Justice Ministry source said on Friday (August 4).
The decision by Ari Harow, who served as Netanyahu's chief of staff before resigning amid allegations of impropriety in 2015, to turn state's witness adds a further dimension to a long-running investigation involving Netanyahu.
Netanyahu had been questioned under caution by police over so-called Case 1,000, dealing with gifts given to him and his family by businessmen, and Case 2,000, related to conversations he held with an Israeli publisher.
Case 1,000 involves Netanyahu and family members receiving gifts on a regular basis from two businessmen. Israeli media have reported that the gifts included cigars and champagne.
Case 2,000 involves a deal Netanyahu allegedly discussed with the owner of one of Israel's largest newspapers, Yedioth Ahronoth, for better coverage in return for curbs on competition from a free paper owned by U.S. casino mogul Sheldon Adelson. The latter paper has long promoted the prime minister.
Netanyahu has denied wrongdoing in both cases.
Neither Harow nor his lawyer responded to requests for comment.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.